Disclaimer: I receive nothing from this other than the pleasure of giving other people something to read. If Paramount have a problem with this, then I guess I'm more important than I thought!

Summary: A short offering about completion.

Thanks to tayryn for sending me the picture that sparked this thing off.

Crescent Moon

By LauraJo, April 2000
E-mail: laura@laurajo.net

As the light of a single crescent moon spilled down on the bay below and the crashing waves lapped at the shore, a small creature scampered across the rocks towards a solitary human figure. When she saw the salamander racing towards her she turned, and smiled. It was a smile of recognition, and of relief. She had needed someone to talk to, someone to turn to, and the one person, or was that the one creature that she knew she could always turn to had once again not failed her.

As she had surveyed her surroundings Kathryn hadn't failed to notice that she wasn't in the place where she normally found her guide. For some reason the creature had chosen to bring her to another place, somewhere she didn't recognise but at the same time somewhere where she felt at peace. She was once again lost in thoughts of her surroundings when the voice of her guide broke into her consciousness.

*You are troubled, what is it that brings you to this place?*

"You brought me here, so you tell me."

*You see me where your own thoughts tell you to go. This location was your doing.*

"Why do I get the feeling that's somehow important?"

*Your intuition leads you well. This is where you needed to come to discover what it is that you've been hiding, even from yourself.*

"I'm just feeling run-down at the moment, I'm not hiding anything from myself."

*You're doing it now.*

"Doing what now?"

*Hiding it from yourself. You know the reason for your restlessness, for your problems, you just do not wish to admit it. That is why you are here.*

"So where is here?"

*Wherever you wish it to be. Tell me, what did you notice first about this place?*

"The moon. I've always loved staring at the moon, ever since I was a little girl.  The moon here is so beautiful, so bright, it grabbed my attention almost before I realised what it was."

*She portrays a powerful image, I agree. More powerful than you realise.*

"That's what I'm supposed to see here, isn't it. But why?"

*The moon tells her own story, she will be your guide. She is not all she appears to be.*

"I don't understand."

*The crescent moon in all her beauty appears to be complete, to fulfil her purpose alone, yet alone she is incomplete. There is another part of her that lurks in the shadows, supporting her in her duty, yet receiving no acknowledgement for her work. Yet you yourself know that without the supporting rock the crescent would cease to be, would no longer be the same.*

"Of course. The moon only appears to be crescent shaped because of the fall of the light from the Sun, everyone knows that it is really a fully spherical body."

*Your approach is too clinical, it takes away the beauty that is so plain to see; but your statement is otherwise correct.*

"That's all very well, but how does it relate to me?"

*You and the crescent moon are not so different. Like her, the part that completes you remains hidden. However, unlike her you will function better if your bond is acknowledged, if all those around you can see that you and your 'shadow' are but two parts of one whole.*

"You're...you're saying that what's been stopping me from sleeping, preventing me from concentrating on my job, praying on my mind even as I'm not conscious of it is..."

*You know what I am saying, and you know what you must do. Remember the moon.*

And with that the creature scampered away between the rocks leaving Kathryn staring at the sky. She knew what she had to do, and for the first time in months she felt as though she hadn't a care in the world. As she came out of her trance-like state she was already thinking about the holoprogram she was going to create, where the waves would crash to the shore over the sand and rocks and the insects would sing out their midnight song, as she told him what she had learnt under the shining light of a crescent moon.

The moon that would bring her completion.

THE END

Sign My Guestbook...

Back to Cider and Roast!

To receive notification when I post a
new story, enter your email address
below, then click the 'Join' button:
topica
 Join Lunar Lounge! 
       

Image3.gif (1990 bytes)