Disclaimer: If anyone at Paramount thought this was a close enough representation of Tuvok's inner thoughts to be seriously threatened, I'd be flattered. No scrub that, you'd have to scrape my unconscious form off the floor. So what I guess I'm trying to say is that they're not mine... more's the pity.

Summary: My answer to a JetC22 challenge from Christine to write a J/C a story in the first person from the POV of another character other than Tom or B'Elanna.

A Logical Romance

By LauraJo, May 2000
E-mail: laura@laurajo.net

Tactical Officer's Personal Log, Stardate 5XXXX.X

Ensign Paris once told me that he thought deep inside me there lies a hopeless romantic. Whilst I do not concur with his choice of expression, I would be the first to admit that in certain situations to express and explore a deep romantic love is the only logical course of action.

For Vulcans, to love is a dangerous thing. Love is an all encompassing emotion that can make you lose sight of what is right, of what is proper and perhaps worst of all, it can make you lose sight of who you are. I have however served on starships with humans for long enough to know that our Vulcan ideals cannot and must not be applied to other races. For these people that I serve with everyday, to love another is to strengthen each other, to rely on each other, to give your everything to them so that you together may be more than you were apart. I have understood this to be true for many years now, so it was of great satisfaction to me when my old friend and captain appeared to finally reach the same conclusion.

In some few cases, although not so few that you cannot expect to see one or two in a lifetime so long as mine, a love develops between two people that runs so deep that it touches the heart and soul, and strengthens in a way that nothing else can. The Vulcan language has no word for this bond, perhaps understandable as the very nature of our race makes it impossible for such a relationship to exist among our people. I believe however that the Betazoid people do have a word that comes close to describing what I am trying to convey - Imzadi. In their context it describes a special kind of love, the first to touch your heart and soul. But I am not talking of the first. I am talking of the only.  This kind of connection is not experienced by everyone, and certainly not by the same person twice.

So to say I was caught off guard to sense something of this nature between my captain and the Maquis leader we were under orders to apprehend is undoubtedly an accurate statement. I knew of my friend's commitment to her fiancé back on Earth, and yet I knew from that first moment these two people looked into each other's eyes that their souls would be together. Many onboard Voyager expected me to be the last to pick up on the undercurrent in their relationship, whereas in reality I was most likely the first. Vulcans may not experience emotion, but we are more than adequately adept at reading emotions in others.

More adept, it seems, than our human captain. For six years she succeeded in delaying the inevitable. Finally, with a gentle push from persons whose identities will remain undisclosed in this log, hearts were opened and confessions made that constituted the single most significant event in the personal lives of the crew since our journey began.

And now I write this, with the gratification of knowing that after a day as captain of this vessel I can return to my former duties knowing I have aided in the the lifelong happiness of two of the most deserving of people.

For today I performed a wedding ceremony.

End Log.

~

Sign My Guestbook...

Back to Cider and Roast!

To receive notification when I post a
new story, enter your email address
below, then click the 'Join' button:
topica
 Join Lunar Lounge! 
       

Image3.gif (1990 bytes)