Disclaimer: I don't own Voyager or the characters, that honour belongs to Paramount. There's not a lot more to say really, is there?

Summary: Someone's noticed.

Note: Well here it is, my first story. Just a short, rambling piece because I decided I was finally going to finish something and post it. I'm not particularly happy with it, and personally I prefer the longer fanfics out there, but it's finished. Hopefully soon I'll finish one of my longer pieces - if anyone out there wants to read what I've got so far e-mail me and I'll send you a copy, providing you promise to give me any suggestions for improvements. Without any further ado, I give you…

Random Observations

By LauraJo, March 1999
E-mail: laura@laurajo.net

I noticed it tonight. Just a little change, but it was all that was needed. The Captain and Chakotay have finally become an item. I think they deliberately decided to let us all know tonight, at our sixth Christmas party. I don't blame them. They'd waited long enough.

I actually admire the way in which they finally 'let the cat out of the bag'. Unlike Tom and B'Elanna, they didn't let themselves get caught in a rather compromising position. Instead, they purely and simply attended a party together, staying by each other's sides and holding hands. They stayed for an hour - just long enough to be seen and to make a point. They're together.

They didn't even kiss in front of us. To me that was romantic. There was no obvious display of possession, of staking a claim. No-one doubts though that those two are never going to be alone again. You can just imagine them in fifty years time, none of the passion lost, just as happy as they are today. For most of us, that's just a dream. To them, it's a reality.

I remember when I first noticed there was something between them. Some comment made by the Captain about mating behaviour. I was actually on the bridge at the time. I haven't often been assigned bridge duty, but for once I was lucky. This was one thing you had to witness first hand. The comment itself was innocent enough - if I hadn't been looking at the Captain when she said it I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But there was something in the her eyes when she looked at the Commander that made me pay more attention, a sparkle that had never before shown itself, even when I once observed her talking about the partner she left behind. I think his name was Mark. Had Captain Janeway realised at the time what the rest of us were becoming aware of, I'm sure she would have been horrified. She is nothing if not loyal to those she cares about, and the idea that she was giving up on Mark so soon into our journey would have been unforgivable in her eyes. This is all speculation you understand, but show me one person who doesn't come to the same conclusions when presented with the same facts. You can't do it, can you.

I'm straying off the point a bit. I do have a tendency to do that. Forgive me, I'll try not to do it too often. Back to tonight. You know, Tom's reaction surprised me. Impressed me even. From past behaviour, I would have expected some smart-ass comment about how long it had taken them, in the middle of the announcement that he just had to make to the entire holodeck. But there was none of that. He just quietly went up to them and expressed his congratulations. That must be B'Elanna's influence. She may be half-Klingon but that doesn't stop her from having a sensitive, romantic side. God, now I'm getting all slushy. Must be getting tired.

As for my reaction, the word 'jealous' doesn't quite cover it, but I think you get the picture. I've longed for the kind of closeness our command team shares for years, but I don't think I've ever really done enough to deserve it. Soulmates. Maybe one day, who knows? For now I'm happy to sit, and watch, and wish. Everything comes to he who waits, right?

THE END

Sign My Guestbook...

Back to Cider and Roast!

To receive notification when I post a
new story, enter your email address
below, then click the 'Join' button:
topica
 Join Lunar Lounge! 
       

Image3.gif (1990 bytes)